Two Individuals Ordered to Pay Over $15,000 in Fraudulently Obtained Unemployment Insurance Benefits

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced that two Rhode Island residents have been ordered to repay $15,371 to the State after pleading in Providence County Superior Court to fraudulently obtaining unemployment insurance benefits by not reporting earned wages to the Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training (DLT).


Richard Geminiani (age 57), of Woonsocket, pleaded nolo contendere to one count of obtaining money under false pretenses. Geminiani was given a four-year deferred sentence and ordered to pay $6,477 in restitution to the State. Between January 2014 and February 2016, Geminiani was employed with a window installation company and collected unemployment insurance benefits while failing to report his wages to DLT.


Sareth Chea (age 38), of Providence, pleaded nolo contendere to one count of obtaining money under false pretenses over $1,500. Chea was sentenced to four years of probation and ordered to pay $8,840 in restitution to the State. Between January 2019 and July 2019, Chea worked at a bank and collected unemployment insurance benefits while failing to report her wages to DLT. Chea is a former DLT employee and was familiar with reporting requirements.


“Regardless of circumstances, when individuals collect benefits that they aren’t entitled to, they reduce the amount of benefits that are available to Rhode Islanders who really need them,” said Attorney General Neronha. “While the conduct of the defendants happened prior to this year, I think everyone has witnessed during our government’s response to the COVID pandemic how critical these funds are to those who are really struggling. Although the pandemic may have heightened the public’s awareness of issues related to unemployment benefits, this work has always been important because of its impact on our ability to help those who need it.”


The Rhode Island State Police Financial Crimes Unit and DLT led the investigation into the cases. Special Assistant Attorney General Carole McLaughlin prosecuted the cases on behalf of the Office of the Attorney General.

CDC director Dr. Robert Redfield says the next three months are going to be the most difficult time in the public health history of the nation. Redfield says things are going to get worse before they get better. Redfield said it's important for Americans to recommit to the mitigation of coronavirus as a vaccine is around the corner. But right now, every single person is responsible for bringing down COVID numbers by wearing a mask, physically distancing, and washing their hands.       The Senate is welcoming Arizona Democrat Mark Kelly and saying goodbye to Tennessee Republican Lamar Alexander. Kelly was sworn in today after beating Senator Martha McSally. Meanwhile, members of the chamber also gave farewell speeches to retiring Senator Alexander. The 80-year-old Lamar has served in the Senate since 2003.        President Trump is hoping the Supreme Court will see the 2020 presidential election was a "total catastrophe" and overturn the results. In a 46-minute social media video, Trump claimed they have "so much evidence" to prove "we've just elected a president where the votes were fraudulent."        Officials are telling people not to enter the water near Discovery Park in Seattle after thousands of gallons of sewage spilled into the Puget Sound. An operating error led to 15-thousand-gallons of wastewater to spill into the area. Coming into contact with wastewater can cause skin rashes and upper respiratory infections.       A California student suffering from a head injury after being shot during a Zoom distance learning session today. The sheriff's department says deputies responded to the home in Woodbridge after receiving several reports about a person shot. He was taken to the hospital, without a word on how serious his condition might be. KCRA reports Lodi Unified School District confirmed that the shooting happened during a sixth-grade Zoom class.       It looks like former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh [[ shay ]] died without a will. TMZ reports his father and brother "have a good faith belief" Hsieh did not have an estate plan for his 840-million-dollar net worth. Since Hsieh was single with no kids his brother and father asked a judge Nevada judge to make them administer his estate. Hsieh died last week at the age of 46 from injuries obtained during a house fire in Connecticut.