Providence man sentenced to serve 30 years in state

 

prison for first-degree sexual assault

 

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced that a Providence man was sentenced in Providence County Superior Court to serve 30 years at the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI) after being found guilty of committing multiple counts of sexual assault against a female victim in 2012.

 

On September 30, 2021, following the conclusion of a nine-day trial, a jury found the defendant, Victor Tavares (age 35), guilty of two counts of first-degree sexual assault and one count of conspiracy.

 

At a sentencing hearing on December 2, 2021, before Superior Court Justice Joseph A. Montalbano, the Court sentenced the defendant to serve 30 years at the ACI. The Court also ordered that the defendant register as a sex offender, complete sex offender counseling, and be subject to community supervision. The Court further issued a No Contact Order between the defendant and his victim.

 

“Justice may have been delayed in this case, but fortunately it was not denied. The defendant, along with his co-defendant, caused great harm to the victim and he has now been held accountable for his conduct,” said Attorney General Neronha. “He will not see the streets of Rhode Island other than from the vantage point of a prison cell for a very long time, and that alone should make Rhode Islanders safer. I am enormously grateful for the courage displayed by the victim throughout the investigation and prosecution of the case.”

 

During the trial, the State proved beyond a reasonable doubt that on May 26, 2012, Victor Tavares and a co-defendant, Franklin Johnson, sexually assaulted a woman at a residence on Douglas Avenue in Providence.

 

Following an initial investigation, in early 2018, the Providence Police Department, working with the Office of Attorney General, renewed its investigation into the case. In May 2018, the Providence County Grand Jury returned an indictment charging the defendant and his co-defendant with felony counts stemming from their roles in perpetrating the sexual assault in 2012.

 

At the time of his indictment, the defendant was serving probation stemming from a first-degree robbery conviction in 2006. Following his indictment, the Superior Court ruled the defendant violated the terms of his probation. He has been held at the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI) as a violator since that time.

 

In 2018, Franklin Johnson pleaded to his role in the assault and was sentenced to the ACI.

 

“Committing the reprehensible crime of sexual assault against an innocent victim is among the very worst violent acts that the Providence Police investigate,” said Steven M. Paré, Providence Commissioner of Public Safety. “While there is no justice that can return the innocence to this victim, I commend her bravery throughout this process and thank Detective A’Vant and our partners at the RI Attorney General’s Office for their investigation and prosecution of this case.”

 

Detective Angelo A’Vant of the Providence Police Department and Assistant Attorney General Ania Zielinski and Special Assistant Attorney General David T. Bonzagni of the Office of the Attorney General led the investigation and prosecution of the case.

 

Ninety-three-percent of coronavirus cases in the U.S. are linked to the Delta variant. That's according to the latest numbers from the CDC which looked at the last two weeks of July. However, the Delta strain accounts for 98-percent of the infections when looking at the region where states like Iowa and Kansas are located.       A new report shows fewer jobs were added in the U.S. than expected. Payroll processing firm ADP says 330-thousand positions were added last month, which is much fewer than the 650-thousand jobs analysts were expecting. The ADP figures come ahead of the jobs report that'll be released by the federal government on Friday.       Attorneys for former President Trump are attempting to block the release of Trump's tax records to a U.S. House committee. A motion was filed with a federal court after the Justice Department gave the go-ahead for the Treasury Department to release the documents. Trump's lawyers claim there isn't a legitimate reason for Congress to access them.       A majority of New Yorkers want Governor Andrew Cuomo to resign. That's according to the results of a Marist survey which shows 59-percent of New Yorkers feel that way. Meantime, the poll results also say 32-percent think the governor should serve out the rest of his term.       There's a new service that will help out folks in trouble. Citizen, an app that notifies users about crimes and emergencies in their area, is rolling out a new service that will call 911 for those who need help. It will set users back about 20-dollars.       Guests at the upcoming Met Gala in New York must show proof they're fully vaccinated against COVID and wear masks. This follows news that all New York Fashion Week shows next month will require COVID shots too. The gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, called "America: A Lexicon of Fashion," will be held on September 13th.