Following U.S. Supreme Court decision, bump stocks remain illegal in Rhode Island

 

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha issued the following statement regarding the Supreme Court’s decision in Garland v. Cargill to strike down an important federal gun safety regulation:

 

“In 2017, thousands gathered in Las Vegas to attend a country music festival, during which a gunman opened fire on the crowd, killing 60 people and injuring more than 850 – the worst mass shooting in American history. Several of the shooter’s firearms were fitted with bump stocks that allowed him to fire approximately 90 rounds in 10 seconds and more than 1,000 rounds in total. Today, the Supreme Court struck down a federal ban on bump stocks that was imposed following this horrifying event.

 

“It has always been my belief that common sense gun regulation keeps Rhode Islanders safe and secure. Since I’ve been Attorney General, I’ve fought hard for necessary reforms to our gun laws, including bans on large capacity magazines, straw purchasing, and ghost guns, and most recently, a law that requires safe storage of firearms when not in use. And my office has successfully defended several important gun safety measures.

 

“Notwithstanding today’s decision, Rhode Island has a state law in place that prohibits specific devices that modify a firearm to allow fully automatic rates of fire – so bump stocks have been and remain banned in our state. Because today’s Supreme Court decision affects only federal regulatory authority regarding bump stocks, our Rhode Island bump stock ban can and will continue to be enforced.

 

“My office’s approach to dangerous, illegal firearms remains clear: we will use every tool at our disposal to rid Rhode Island of the perils of gun violence, and we will continue to fight for common sense gun laws that protect innocent people from harm.”

 

 

Leaders from around the world are condemning the assassination attempt of former President Trump at a rally in Pennsylvania. Ukrainian President Volodomyr Zelensky said such violence has no justification in the world. India's Prime Minister Narenda Modi said he condemns the attempt and wished Trump a speedy recovery. French President Emmanuel Macron said the shooting was a tragedy "for our democracies."       The FBI is leading a probe into the assassination attempt on former President Trump. They identified the dead gunman as 20-year-old Thomas Mathew Crooks of Bethel Park, Pennsylvania. Agents swarmed the shooter's home overnight and found explosive materials. The FBI says he acted alone although the motive for the shooting remains unclear.        The U.S. Secret Service is facing intense scrutiny following the assassination attempt on former President Trump. Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are asking how a sniper was able to get on a rooftop about 400 feet from the stage and fire shots at Trump. There are also questions about the size of the rally security perimeter and what efforts agents took to sweep the shooter's building.       Lots of Houston-area residents are still sweltering in the dark after Hurricane Beryl slammed Texas last week. As of last check, over 290-thousand customers were without electricity.        The fate of New Jersey Senator Bob Menendez is in the hands of a New York jury. The veteran Democrat is accused of taking bribes to help two co-defendants win lucrative business deals.        "The Daily Show" is canceling tapings in Milwaukee during the Republican National Convention following the assassination attempt on former President Trump at a Pennsylvania rally on Saturday. In a post on X, the show cited logistical issues and the "evolving situation in Milwaukee" as the reason. The Comedy Central news-satire show sold out multiple nights in the city.