Mount Saint Charles Academy Awards Its All-State Athletes and Highest Athletic Awards
Woonsocket – Every year during Mount Saint Charles Academy’s Mount Day, which is a celebration of community, of the students’ hard work, and of the approaching conclusion of another successful school year, Mount Saint Charles recognizes its All-State athletes and awards its highest athletic award honors. This year on May 19th, the students received their awards.
1. Each month, principals, athletic directors and coaches nominate student athletes for the Rhode Island Interscholastic League Student Athlete of the Month Award. These students are nominated by excelling in the classroom and athletic competition, participating in multiple school sponsored sports and demonstrating good citizenship in their school and community. Three Mount student athletes earned Honorable Mention: Jack Boisvert of Mapleville, RI; Hannah Tousignant of Blackstone, MA; and Maikah Bulpitt;. Mount had two winners – Madison Matatall of Blackstone, MA and Julia Laquerre of Bellingham, MA.
2. One of the highest accomplishments that a student athlete can earn is to be selected to an All State team. This year, 17 athletes received this honor:
Volleyball - Brett Gould of Woonsocket, RI; Dan Gould of Woonsocket, RI; Maggie Bouckaert of Woonsocket, RI; Jarod Tessier; Alexandra Miller
Soccer – Emily D’Abrosca of Cumberland, RI
Hockey – Kaylee Doucette of Bridgewater, MA; Jacob Glod of Cumberland, RI; Jack Boisvert of Mapleville, RI; James Belisle of Cumberland, RI
Tennis – Matthew Dubois of North Smithfield, RI; Jacob Lawrence of Scituate, RI; Maikah Bulpitt
Indoor Track – Karissa Lappas of Franklin, MA; Hannah Tousignant of Blackstone, MA; Eileen Whalen of North Smithfield, RI; Marina Schmid
3. The 2017 National Scholar Athlete Award (male & female) is awarded to two seniors who have maintained the highest level of excellence in the classroom as well as on the playing field. It is sponsored by the United States Army Reserve. Sgt. Fiorillo presented the award. This year’s recipients are: Paul Resende of Cumberland, RI; and Skylar O’Connell.
4. The 2017 Outstanding Sportsmanship Award (male & female) is awarded to two seniors who have participated in at least one school-sponsored varsity sport, and who have demonstrated integrity, poise, self-confidence, and leadership. The winners are considered to be models for good sportsmanship and are selected by a majority vote of the entire coaching staff. This year’s recipients are: Hannah Tousignant of Blackstone, MA; and Jack O’Donnell of Mendon, MA.
5. The 2017 Outstanding Athlete Award (male & female) is awarded to two seniors who have demonstrated outstanding ability in at least two sports, have shown fine sportsmanship, have been judged to possess superlative leadership qualities, and have remained coachable and committed to the team concept. The winner is selected by a majority vote of the coaching staff. This year’s recipients are: Julia Laquerre of Bellingham, MA; and Alex Hale.